Obama quoted from Exodus in his illegal “immigrations” speech. Who knows why he did. Maybe he thought it would convince some people that he was doing the right thing.
What he quoted was Ex 22:21
21 “You shall neither mistreat a stranger nor oppress him, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt.”
But he should have went on to quote: Ex 23:1-3
“You shall not circulate a false report. Do not put your hand with the wicked to be an unrighteous witness. 2 You shall not follow a crowd to do evil; nor shall you testify in a dispute so as to turn aside after many to pervert justice. 3 You shall not show partiality to a poor man in his dispute.”
Is there any part of the 2nd quote that he did NOT do?
What gets me is he operated outside the law in two ways, at least. (maybe more) He actually wrote law as he is not allowed to do. And he overstepped his authority into an area, immigration, he is not supposed to go. So there are two offenses.
As reported prior to his speech in WH leaked reports:
It expands the deportation reprieve given to some illegal aliens in 2012 to include millions more.
The plan calls for expanding deferred action for illegal immigrants who came to the U.S. as children — but also for the parents of U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents.
The latter could allow upwards of 4.5 million illegal immigrant adults with U.S.-born children to stay, according to estimates.
Another portion that is sure to cause consternation among anti-“amnesty” lawmakers is a plan to expand deferred action for young people. In June 2012, Obama created such a program for illegal immigrants who came to the U.S. as children, entered before June 2007 and were under 31 as of June 2012. The change would expand that to cover anyone who entered before they were 16, and change the cut-off from June 2007 to Jan. 1, 2010. This is estimated to make nearly 300,000 illegal immigrants eligible.
Let me remind him of a couple things. First was the unpopularity of what he did. Had he read the tea leaves, last year, he would have known it when they were slamming a so-called bipartisan “immigration” bill through the Senate. They did it and people were not happy about it, which is also why it went nowhere in the House. But determined they were and flaunted it as an achievement. At what expense?
Months went by with the same negativity growing toward the Senate, Obama and Democrats. Then, as soon as they got past the 2014 elections, here they are and Obama just has to take unconstitutional, unilateral action on illegal immigration. Working papers, SS numbers, amnesty etc. If it was as popular as they claim, why did he not do it months ago when they schemed it? Dems could have ran their campaigns on it and ran it by the people at the ballot box. No.
Heritage had a paper on so-called immigration reform. They list 10 things any proposal should deal with.
“Therefore, any President who truly wants to fix the U.S. immigration and border security problems must first fulfill his duty to “take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed.” Fulfilling this responsibility requires 10 areas of action, and without a commitment to every area, U.S. immigration law is not being faithfully executed. These 10 policies are:
- Overriding and removing existing executive orders, agency memorandums, or other executive policy directives that ignore or contradict existing law;
- Allowing immigration agencies to enforce and apply the law without workplace interference, political pressure, or procedural obstacles;
- Providing the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agency with a fully operational system of sensor and camera technologies and infrastructure on the southwest border to multiply the efficacy of their efforts;
- Using the appropriate judicial and administrative tools efficiently to remove and return unlawful immigrants to their home countries;
- Increasing enforcement against businesses that knowingly employ unlawful labor;
- Engaging with international partners and remaining committed to citizen security and democratic governance in the Western Hemisphere;
- Making U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), more efficient and effective;
- Reporting accurate immigration data to Congress and the American people in a truthful, consistent, and complete manner;
- Soliciting the assistance and support of the states in enforcing immigration laws and limiting the effectiveness of those governments that attempt to frustrate enforcement with sanctuary policies; and
- Verifying the success of these actions through honest and accurate Census survey data of the unlawful immigrant population.
See paper at: http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2014/11/ten-step-checklist-for-revitalizing-americas-immigration-system-how-the-administration-can-fulfill-its-responsibilities
It is doubtful that a president choosing to act in an unconstitutional manner would care much about the ethics or appearance of what he is doing. So he made no attempt to create even an illusion of legitimacy. He just wrote law and overstepped his authority boundaries. He has no respect for the law he is attempting to rewrite.
RightRing | Bullright